On 3/30/2010 2:16 PM, Mike Hutchinson wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-postfix-us...@postfix.org [mailto:owner-postfix-
us...@postfix.org] On Behalf Of Sahil Tandon
Sent: Tuesday, 30 March 2010 3:07 p.m.
To: postfix-users@postfix.org
Subject: Re: Rate control for SMTP delivery to speicific domain

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010, Mike Hutchinson wrote:

As I understand it, this would be setting the Max Processes limit.
smtphotmail             unix    -       -       -       -       3       smtp

That is how you set maxproc, but why do you need 3 for this transport?

This transport points to a rather fragile mail server, in other words, we
are going over their acceptable delivery rate and our Server IP gets banned
unless we do something about rate control. I assumed the Max Processes would
assist with this, but perhaps I am wrong.

And setting the wakeup timer would be like this:
smtphotmail     unix    -       -       -       3       -       smtp

That is how you set the timer.

Yes, not what I am doing / want to do.

My apologies. Ill go back and start from scratch.

What version of Postfix is this?

Postfix mail_version = 2.5.1

Cheers,
Michael Hutchinson

Postfix 2.5.1 is pretty old, the current 2.5 patchlevel is 10. There have been some changes that could affect your rate delay controls.

Anyway, for diagnostics you can add a '-o syslog_name=smtphotmail' to your master.cf entry to verify the correct transport is being used, or for more info add a -v to your smtphotmail transport to see what it's up to.

Also see the "slow" transport example under
http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html#backlog

  -- Noel Jones