Thanks to everyone who has helped with this. There are several of you nd your help is much appreciated. My recent posting on the "trust" issue with the google certificates is not sorted - but is a red herring as far as this issue is concerned.
I think I have it sorted - or at least working so far.

Here s the relevant main.cf section:

# 8/9/2010 Here is a block I am adding to try to get the postfix server to
# relay through smtp.gmail.com to keep the google apps sent email consistent.
#
smtp_tls_security_level = may
smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = yes
#     sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
relayhost = smtp.gmail.com:submission

#
# end of 8/9/2010 block

Richard.