Many thanks Victor. I am learning all the time...:-)

Richard.

On 14/09/2010 12:35 AM, Victor Duchovni wrote:
On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 11:54:36PM +0800, Richard Chapman wrote:

relayhost = smtp.gmail.com:submission
That should probably be:

        relayhost = [smtp.gmail.com]:submission

I don't think that "smtp.gmail.com" is intended to be an MX RRset.
I'm afraid I don't understand the distinction between the syntax
"smtp.gmail.com" and "[smtp.gmail.com]" and I'm not familiar with the term
"MX RRset" either.
Read the "SMTP DESTINATION SYNTAX" portion of:

     http://www.postfix.org/smtp.8.html

Without "[]" the domainname specified is first subjected to DNS MX
lookups. This is required when sending mail to a domain, but is
typically wrong when resolving the address of a submission host.

Can you point me to a document discussing these issues? Strangely (perhaps)
- the above relayhost directive appears to be doing what I intended it
to...
Any book that covers the DNS background for operating a mail server.
The Sendmail and Postfix books cover this.

While leaving out the "[]" often works, it can break when MX records
are introduced for the submission host (perhaps via a wildcard in
the parent domain).

--
Richard Chapman