On 10/22/2010 11:33 AM, sunhux G wrote:
Hi

Suppose before I delete away mails (postsuper -d ...),
I backup all the files in the queue directories below:

[r...@postfix]# postconf -d | grep -i dir | grep -i que
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix

You should not directly manipulate the postfix queue directories.
Instead, move all messages to the HOLD queue (postsuper -h ALL)
Postfix does not touch the HOLD queue unless you specifically tell it to, so those messages are filesystem-safe and free for you to manipulate.

To restore these queue files to another server & read these mails,
what are the steps & commands involved?

Add
    relayhost = [your.new.server]
to main.cf, then run
    #postsuper -r ALL
to requeue all mail.

The new server must be set up to receive and process the mail correctly beforehand, or it may reject them.

This process is transaction safe, you can repeat it as often as you need to.

2nd question:
=========
Instead of using "postsuper -d queue_id" to delete say bounce mails,
can I just do it at OS Unix level using " rm bounce/* " ?

You should not directly manipulate the postfix queue directories.
man postsuper for the correct invocation of the -d option.

--
J.