On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 12:39:59AM +0800, sunhux G wrote:

> >the queue starts empty (you are not adding old queue files to a
> >queue that has received new queue files) you can restore, and
> >then start Postfix
>
> We do backup once in the night but thing is the mails keep coming in
> round the clock.  So what we can get from the backup tape is not
> usable because postfix is not shut down when backup is taken.
>
> So what would be a good backup strategy for a mail/postfix server
> that runs round the clock?  If a backup is taken only once per
> night, it sounds like it's not a useable backup.

Back up your mail store (IMAP mailboxes, ...). Use a decent RAID
sub-system for the mail spool, and don't bother backing it up.
It just contains messages in transit, that are usually delivered
within a few seconds of entering the queue. Replaying old queue
files is not terribly useful.

You can backup and restore a queue when decomissioning a machine, and
moving the spool to new hardware. In most cases, draining the queue to
the new host via SMTP is more sensible, if the two can run side-by-side.

--
        Viktor.