On Nov 6, 2010, at 6:14 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> Hello again friends.  Long time no see.

No, we were speaking yesterday, as I recall...

> I've gotten myself into a somewhat heated discussion...

Well, yes.

> ... which seems to
> be the only kind I get into these days... on another mailing list
> regarding the spam outflow filtering capabilities of one particular
> non-Posfix based e-mail service.

You should read those headers you cited more clearly, but I digress.

> For the sake of comparison, I'd like to be able to describe in some
> detail what sorts of capabilities Posfix may offer along these lines,
> but I am at a serious disadvantage here, because I frankly haven't
> been paying too much attention to developments in the world of Postfix
> for the last few years, and thus, I'm pretty completely ignorant about
> the state of Postfix's current capabilities vis a via outflow filtering.

Outflow filtering is a different beast from inflow filtering.
You can't just drop things into quarantine or add a header, and certainly you
canNOT silently discard.
You typically can't just bounce things coming from a local user, either,
without a great deal of thought about side-effects.

But since RFG is taking a crash course in outflow filtering, I also would be
VERY interested in whatever suggestions the list membership might have about
ways to do it well.

Currently, the service where I am employed uses automated processing of
Feedback Loops and statistical analysis of customer traffic patterns to raise
alarms, and *some* of those capabilities now seem mature enough to allow them
to disable a customer automatically, but personally I still prefer having a
human in the loop, but that's me.

Please, I'd love to hear any suggestions.

Aloha,
Michael.
--
"Please have your Internet License             http://kapu.net/~mjwise/