In message <fe3e1ee3-9718-427c-8523-fdaf51099...@kapu.net>,
Michael J Wise <mjw...@kapu.net> wrote:

>>I believe you can set per user rate limits using policyd.
>
>Problem is, they don't.
>The mailbox is on THEIR system.
>And however much we beg, plead or whine, some of our customers don't
>share their complete user list with us.

Michael,

I'm really not sure that I understand the problem, so maybe you can
elaborate.

I think that I understand what you have described... You run the outbound
mail servers, but other people... other entities... run the e-mail
_origination_ servers, and those just feed mail over to your servers
which then dutifully send it all out.  Is that about the size of it?

And you are saying that you can't implement per-account rate limits,
or per-user outbound quotas, i.e. from your position in the flow,
because you don't even know, apriori, the identities of all of the
possible mail originators who may end up sending outbound mail that
may pass out to the Internet through your systems.  Is that right?
Have I understood correctly?  I want to make sure that I'm not missing
anything here.

>Did I mention we handle a few billion pieces of email a day?

Got it.

So it is clear that any ``solution' would have to be one that scaled
really well, or else it would be of no use to you.

Regards,
rfg