Am 11.01.2011 11:30, schrieb Jonathan Tripathy:
Am 10.01.2011 23:21, schrieb Jonathan Tripathy:
Hi Everyone,

Not really an issue directly related to postfix, however I'm sure I can
get some goods ideas here.

I wish to host managed email servers for some customers. Each customer
will have their own email server which will be an all-in-one virtual
machine running postfix, dovecot and some webmail suite.

Even though each customer will have their own server,

Will your maintenance costs explode?
cost for n customers =(( n virtual servers + 1/n host machine) x 2),
because you perhaps require HA for mail applications? + 1/n per proxy
These are virtual servers, so no costs to deploy HA or one per customer

What do you do if your virtual hosts hosting server dies? All customers down?
The mere fact I'm using virtualisation is moot in regards to my question :)
The point you bring up, while valid and a very good one indeed, is a problem with using virtualisation with any type of service.

Do they require direct access to their server instance? As far as I
can tell from your description your proxies seem to solve all problems
of that kind.
Just for authentication when sending emails....

Dovecot or cyrus sasl can be used for SASL/smtp auth. Take a look at Postfix' SASL config parameters.

Yes, I know this, however my question is about getting a "front end" server to proxy outbound requests to the customer's respective email server.

I guess another way to do this would be to have the "front end smtp-out" server do the sending itself and ask a customer's respective dovecot server for authentication. How can I do this where on a domain-by-domain basis? (i.e. each domain is authenticated by a different dovecot server)