Am 11.01.2011 14:10, schrieb Jonathan Tripathy:
Am 11.01.2011 13:56, schrieb Jonathan Tripathy:
Am 11.01.2011 13:47, schrieb Jonathan Tripathy:
if you believe you have received this email in error. Am 11.01.2011
13:27, schrieb Jonathan Tripathy:
On tir 11 jan 2011 11:52:12 CET, Jonathan Tripathy wrote

I guess another way to do this would be to have the "front end
smtp-out" server do the sending itself and ask a customer's
respective dovecot server for authentication. How can I do this
where
on a domain-by-domain basis? (i.e. each domain is authenticated
by a
different dovecot server)

one dovecot auth server to more then one postfix, and
lda/pop3/imap,
and admin is then just postfixadmin, i cant see the problem here

ask help on dovecot maillist since its not really a postfix problem

Other way round, which is a postfix issue :)

I'm trying to use a single postfix server for many dovecot auth
servers

make sasl auth against a DB (ldap or sql) via dovecot.
Postfix -> dovecot sasl -> user db.

This way you can use as many proxies as you want.
Yes, this is how it's done normally. But when a request comes into
postfix, how will postfix know which dovecot server to authenticate
against?

Postfix doesn't care. Dovecot does.
I don't follow, sorry

Postfix is only required to know the result of the query that dovecot
does.
Dovecot asks the userdb (via e.g. sql): select 'whatever' as result
from MyUserDB where user='unixusername' and password='password';
Dovecot returns the result to postfix. Postfix allows or does not
allow the auth'ed or not auth'ed user to relay.

This is a dovecot question. RTMF dovecot (their online help is really
good - got it from there, too) or ask their list.
Ah! So you're saying that I should run Dovecot on the "Front End"
servers, and get dovecot to authenticate directly with the customer
database running on the customer servers?

So there must be a way for dovecot to ask different databases depending
on domain..

That depends on how you design your userdb. There's really a fine documentation about exactly this topic on the dovecot web page. Look it up.