On 2/27/2011 3:21 PM, jeffrey j donovan wrote:
greetings
how can i test submission to port 587 from command line ?

# telnet localhost 587
if you get a greeting from postfix, then postfix is listening. Good.

If you require STARTTLS encryption, you can test that with
# openssl s_client -connect localhost:587 -starttls smtp
Again, if you get a postfix prompt (after a couple pages of TLS negotiation), good.

Openssl s_client is not a suitable tool for testing an entire mail transaction. If the first two steps work, setup your favorite mail client and give it a whirl.

It's also customary to listen on port 465/smtps with TLS wrappermode enabled for those clients that prefer that interface. Test that port with
# openssl s_client -connect localhost:465
(telnet doesn't speak tls wrappermode)

I also find it *very* helpful to add a custom syslog name in master.cf so you can tell which service a client is connected to. eg.
# master.cf
submission ... smtpd
... your settings ...
  -o syslog_name=postfix-submission

smtps ... smtpd
... your settings ...
  -o syslog_name=postfix-smtps

  -- Noel Jones

I am  setting up a relay for my some users to use when they are off site. Those
that have verizon need to use 587
I want to watch each step through so that i can make sure I have a clean path.

-j