On 2/28/2011 12:53 PM, Daniel Bromberg wrote:
On 2/28/2011 12:25 PM, Claus Assmann wrote:
On Mon, Feb 28, 2011, Daniel Bromberg wrote:

HELO example.com
Wrong. If you want to use extensions, you have to use EHLO.

250 example.com
AUTH login
MAIL FROM:<dan...@basezen.com>
Wrong. See the RFC, no space after ":".

RCPT TO:<dan...@basezen.com>
See above.

This is at least somewhat trollish and ignores the context.
Obviously my example was from a Postfix server, and obviously
it worked. So I have a little trouble with "wrong". We are not
implementing an SMTP specification. In fact I am actively
discouraging the OP from getting to know the intimate details
of SMTP. We are running a simple protocol test. If the Postfix
server was not permissive about the extra space, we could
easily adapt and remove it. As it happens, the space improves
readability. Because the Postfix server is under our control,
we know it accepts AUTH and thus EHLO is not needed.

When someone is being helpful, it is nice to continue the
thread in the spirit of helpfulness.

-Daniel

But it was a helpful post. Just because the version of postfix you're using works with invalid syntax doesn't mean it will always work, so wrong examples that just happen to work don't belong here.

And while I'm at it, I'll repeat that when testing with openssl, you must use lower case "rcpt to:" as the "R" triggers a protocol renegotiation, which in some cases can cause a "bad syntax" or "command not recognized" error, or terminate the session.

I appreciate your time spent creating and posting the example. However, the next guy might not be so lucky and waste valuable time troubleshooting a problem that doesn't exist.

All this leads me to repeat that once you get a postfix response to "EHLO world", it's better to continue testing with a real mail client.

Over and out.

  -- Noel Jones