--On Monday, February 28, 2011 3:37 PM -0500 Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> wrote:

Wieste, will postfix be moving to the CPL, or will it be retaining the
IPL?

The IPL is the second license under which Postfix was released.
With IPL and CPL being similar in spirit (and equally objectionable
for OpenBSD, according to people I talked to) I need to hear good
arguments before I would enter further discussion with IBM lawyers.

Hi Wieste,

I see that the CPL has in fact been replaced with the EPL. Do the BSD folks find it as objectionable as well? If not, then if you do look into re-licensing postfix, perhaps the EPL would be a better solution.

The general argument in favor of re-licensing postfix that I see is that the EPL in particular is seen as more friendly, OSS wise, by other groups, even if not by the BSD folks. Certainly allowing postfix to be linked against the MySQL libraries without engendering a license violation is a significant positive. Postfix is highly used among various linux distributions (Debian, Ubuntu, SuSE, RedHat all come to mind), but with the exception of Redhat, none of them link postfix against the MySQL libraries by default.

I appreciate you taking the time to ponder what I am sure is quite a arduous task, even if you decide against going forward with it.

Regards,
Quanah

--

Quanah Gibson-Mount