On 2011-03-14 11:12 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2011-03-14 10:41:16 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
>> Imo, zero/unlimited is *never* a good idea...

> Why (for mailbox_size_limit and virtual_mailbox_limit)?

Because... *unlimited* *anything* is never a good idea... too much room
for error.

> I assume that the only goal of the limits mailbox_size_limit
> and virtual_mailbox_limit was to avoid getting a full disk.
> But as said, such limits are mostly ineffective for the maildir
> format. So, setting them to zero doesn't change very much, IMHO.

Changing *any* setting from its default setting without a good reason is
- to sound like a broken record - never a good idea.

>> Sounds to me like your best option is to leave everything but
>> message_size_limit to their defaults, and set it accordingly.

> Yes, after making sure that mailbox_size_limit and
> virtual_mailbox_limit have not been modified by the
> config file provided by some 3rd-party distribution.

In what way is this different from what I said? I didn't say 'the
distro's default', I said 'their defaults'... meaning, the defaults as
defined by the software's author(s).

--

Best regards,

Charles