On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:50:50PM +0100, Ronald MacDonald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Just been having a look through my config. I've an obscure
> case, where I've added a domain to the alias/lookup tables but
> the customer has not yet changed her DNS settings.
>
> In this case, when I'm waiting for a client to update DNS, I
> still need to be able to get in touch with them.

You'll also have the same problem when a client changes DNS to a
new provider without telling you. Hopefully that doesn't happen
too often :-)

This is a classic problem for service providers. The classic
answer is to have seperate instances for MSA and MX.

(copy-n-paste from a blurb I've already written)

MX receives mail from the Internet for local domains only. It
binds to port 25 only. It needs access to the mail spool, and
the list of user e-mails, but not auth info. It probably needs
to run AS/AV software to protect your users.

MSA receives mail from authentified clients only, with any
destination address. It doesn't need to bind to port 25, it does
not need to have any local domains at all, and it does not need
to access the backend mail spool. It just needs to have access
to the database of users with auth info in order to authorize
users to relay. Anti-spam and antivirus are only in order to
prevent your users from annoying the world, and as such it
should have lots less hits than the MX. You could watch it more
closely (every hit is an incident) or simply turn it off, it
depends on your user base.

POP/IMAP is usually different software, and needs access to the
mail spool and to the database of users.

(end copy-n-paste)

In a small setup, all three can run on a single machine.
The only problem is that MSA might balk if the MX for the
destination domain is the same IP as the one the MSA is running
on. In a bigger setup, you'd have several seperate machines for
each function.

The same basic reasons lead service providers to have seperate
authoritative and resolving name servers.

Hope this helps!