> To summarize, we think SMTP Auth is the simplest and most useful way to
> allow people to send mail through our outbound mail system, and we are
> hoping to get some feedback from the community regarding this
> perspective.

Yes and No. for 99% of our client base, we use SMTP auth. We have a couple
enterprise class customers that we relay for that have a very defined IP set,
which we use an exception file for (as they have their own user/logins on their
side).

I could probably go 100% without any critical impact.

We have/had some software in place that would collect stats on outgoing rates
per login and throttle/disable the account if it exceeded a particular limit,
which means simply disabling the SMTP AUTH for that single account.

I'd recommend it myself.