On 07/19/2011 09:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

>> I think it would be useful to maintain a list of the parameters with
>> non-standard default values. I for one still notice and fix things like
>> this every few months.
>>
>> I'd be willing to look through the main.cf documentation for settings
>> labeled as such if it's for the greater good, but probably not just for
>> my own benefit.
>
> A web page for 100% compliance expectations (passive) or for 100%
> compliance enforcement expectations (active)?
>
>       Wietse

I think the first, but I'm not too clear on the distinction. I want my
systems to act compliant where it makes sense, and allow only as much
non-compliant behavior as is necessary from other hosts. But, I was only
referring to the settings that make my own machines behave incorrectly.

An easy example:

  * resolve_dequoted_address (default: yes)

    Resolve a recipient address safely instead of correctly, by looking
    inside quotes.

And a trickier one:

  * smtp_dns_resolver_options = res_defnames, in postfix <= 2.8

    Append the current domain name to single-component names (those
    that do not contain a "." character). This can produce incorrect
    results, and is the hard-coded behavior prior to Postfix 2.8.