Michael Orlitzky:
> On 07/19/2011 09:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> >>
> >> I think it would be useful to maintain a list of the parameters with
> >> non-standard default values. I for one still notice and fix things like
> >> this every few months.
> >>
> >> I'd be willing to look through the main.cf documentation for settings
> >> labeled as such if it's for the greater good, but probably not just for
> >> my own benefit.
> >
> > A web page for 100% compliance expectations (passive) or for 100%
> > compliance enforcement expectations (active)?
> >
> >     Wietse
>
> I think the first, but I'm not too clear on the distinction. I want my
> systems to act compliant where it makes sense, and allow only as much
> non-compliant behavior as is necessary from other hosts. But, I was only
> referring to the settings that make my own machines behave incorrectly.

Behave incorrectly as in taking actions that do not fully comply
with some protocol. This, in contrast with a more passive form where
Postfix does not fully enforce the protocol, even if doing so
required adding extra code.

> An easy example:
>
>   * resolve_dequoted_address (default: yes)
>
>     Resolve a recipient address safely instead of correctly, by looking
>     inside quotes.

This solved an open relay problem with Postfix gateways that forward
to Sendmail systems.

> And a trickier one:
>
>   * smtp_dns_resolver_options = res_defnames, in postfix <= 2.8
>
>     Append the current domain name to single-component names (those
>     that do not contain a "." character). This can produce incorrect
>     results, and is the hard-coded behavior prior to Postfix 2.8.

This is a fun one, as Matthias pointed out. Making Postfix 2.8 more
correct broke the SMTP client with some Linux libc implementations.

If someone has the time to sift through 600+ configuration parameters,
then they are welcome. I do not have the time. Also consider that
there still is a lot of Postfix behavior that still has to be made
configurable, including message header templates (the From: and