On 8/10/2011 12:10 AM, ricardus1867 wrote:

> By trying to add a second postfix instance (something seems to have went
> terribly wrong), I managed to screw up my postfix. Badly. Nothing would work
> anymore. So I tried the scorched earth approach (purge, then install).
>
> That worked more or less, except for the fact that /var/spool/postfix/etc
> was empty. So one of the problems (DNS lookups stopped working) persisted.
>
> I copied a couple of files inside that directory that I remembered being
> there (hosts, localtime, nsswitch.conf, resolv.conf, services and the ssl
> certs), but the error either is elsewhere or I forgot to copy a file...
>
> I tried no setting "chroot" to "no" for the smtp daemon. That fixes the
> problem. But how can I make DNS lookups work again without loosing the
> chroot?

Chroot and multiple instance support are, or should be, handled properly
by the Postfix init scripts.  If you are using a distro Postfix package,
these scripts are written and maintained by distro staff.

For a thorough description of the cause of this problem, and fixes, it
is worth the time to read this:

Even if you're using something other than Debian, the knowledge gained
from this doc is valuable in understanding the issue.

--
Stan