On 8/11/2011 10:50 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> Ralf Hildebrandt:
>> * Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com>:
>>
>>> Lamont replied once, in Feb 2008, over 6 months after the bug report and
>>> patch were submitted, simply saying he wanted to "wait for upstream".
>>> That is the first and last entry in the bug report from the maintainer.
>>>
>>> Thus, I would assume, as long as he's the maintainer, multi instance
>>> support will never be added to the Debian init script.
>>
>> I can confirm that the init script doesn't handle multiple instances
>> properly.
>
> Trivial fix: modify the init script to invoke "postfix start" etc.
> instead of directly invoking the master daemon.

I don't believe the current init script directly invokes the master
daemon, but I'm not much of a shell programmer, so someone else would
need to confirm.

"/usr/lib/postfix/master" does not appear in the script file anywhere.
And, this init script we're discussing
"/etc/init.d/postfix", is what provides start|stop|reload etc
functionality in Debian.  So, changing as you recommend would simply
have it re-invoke itself.  At least that's my amateur read of it.

Note that I've never looked at the Postfix source files, so I have no
idea of the differences between the "Debian way" and what Wietse
distributes.

--
Stan