On 2011-08-21 16:03, Roger Goh wrote:
There's often problem with our postfix mail server (that runs Cyrus /
Cyrus-imapd) :

Which is ?

I have scripts (using mutt) to send hourly mails out (&  from another
postfix server, I can send mails to it).

I need a way / method such that if those hourly test mails were never
sent out or
received, I'll need to be alerted.  Let me know the freeware tools&
method to go
about doing this?

Fix the real problem instead.

Will procmail (to verify if mails between the 2 postfix servers arrives at the
mailboxes) be needed?  I don't know anything about procmail.

Fix the real problem instead.
Why are there problems with your mail system ?

What are the problems ?

Or can we write scripts that run hourly (say 10 mins after test mails were sent)
that checks maillog for arrival of the test mails&  if they're not
received, ......, hmm,
how do I sent an alert email to notify support if outgoing mail is not
working anymore?

No, you should fix the real problem.

I've suffered quite a few postfix mails not being sent/received outages which
have serious consequences : causes can be due to postfix Linux servers'

Then some part of your mail system is broken, as mail is not lost when you configure postfix correctly.

resource were exhausted, too many "MAILER-DAEMON" or tens of thousands
of stuck mails due to invalid email address (as shown by mailq)

Then your configuration is partially or wholly incorrect.

You need to investigate WHY this happens, then fix the real problem.

--
J.