We host a portal for the citizens & as add-on value, we offer a
free mailbox service.  Our marketing chaps blast marketing
mails to subscribers of our mail service (which is also owned by
 us) so we're authorized to 'spam' marketing newsletters to those
who signed up with us. However, some subscribers' mailbox
get full, some of them have deleted their accounts.  Yes, we
ought to track all these.  Some subscribers use their external
gmail/hotmail & agreed to receive newsletters from us too.

> one cron job to  send a time-stamped ping email message, and
> a second cron job a few minutes later to see if that ping email
> message has arrived in its mailbox/maildir file.

I thought of the 2nd cron job that runs every hourly to comb
/var/log/maillog for arrival of the "alive test" mail & if it doesn't,
create a flag file for our out-of-band monitoring CA server
(which also has an hourly job) to grab this file which will
notify support staff of mail issues

Roger