On Wednesday 11 January 2012 09:08:03 Wietse Venema wrote:
> Fortunately, the Postfix SMTP server is a short-lived process that
> runs for a few minutes at a time without ever changing the system
> configuration.  Every new Postfix SMTP server process is like a
> new-born with a blank memory of its past.
>
> Therefore, if SASL logins fail, especially when they fail persistently,
> then either the SASL client has changed, or the SASL server
> infrastructure **outside POSTFIX** has changed.

But thats just it, they don't fail persistently. I mean, it all works fine,
until all of a sudden it doesn't anymore and only for these accounts. The
other accounts continue to work fine.

> This would be a good time to provide configuration information about
> how Postfix interfaces to the SASL server infrastructure **outside
> POSTFIX**.
>
> There are two such possible infrastructures: Dovecot or Cyrus SASL.
> This choice is made with the smtpd_sasl_type parameter.
>
> Examine the output from:
>
>     # postconf smtpd_sasl_type

smtpd_sasl_type = cyrus

> If this is "cyrus", you need to report what's in the smtpd.conf
> file, whose location depends on how your distributor has tweaked
> the details of the SASL server infrastructure **outside POSTFIX**.
> This file could be located in /usr/local/lib/sasl2, in /etc/postfix,
> or any number of other places.

/usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf
##########################
pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: plain login
saslauthd_path: /var/run/saslauthd/mux
log_level: 7
##########################

/etc/authlib/authmysqlrc
###########################
MYSQL_SERVER          localhost
MYSQL_PORT          3306
MYSQL_USERNAME      postfix_user
MYSQL_PASSWORD      postfixpassword
MYSQL_DATABASE      postfix_db
MYSQL_USER_TABLE    mailbox
MYSQL_CRYPT_PWFIELD password
MYSQL_UID_FIELD     5000
MYSQL_GID_FIELD     5000
MYSQL_LOGIN_FIELD   username
MYSQL_HOME_FIELD    "/home/vmail"
MYSQL_NAME_FIELD    name
MYSQL_MAILDIR_FIELD maildir
MYSQL_QUOTA_FIELD   quota
###########################

/etc/authlib/authdaemonrc
###########################
authmodulelist="authmysql"
authmodulelistorig="authuserdb authpam authpwd authshadow authpgsql authldap
authmysql authcustom authpipe"

daemons=5
authdaemonvar=/var/spool/authdaemon
DEBUG_LOGIN=2
DEFAULTOPTIONS=""
LOGGEROPTS=""

/etc/conf.d/saslauthd
SASLAUTHD_OPTS="-m /var/run/saslauthd -r -a pam"

By the way, I'm running Arch Linux, in case thats relevant. (You never know)