On Wednesday 11 January 2012 10:15:19 Wietse Venema wrote:

> Some accounts fail persistently, if I recall correctly.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. Let me explain again.

Our 4 webservers CONSTANTLY send registration emails to new users via a local
php-mailer on each webserver instance which connects to our central postfix
mail server.

This works, except on rare occasions when it fails without explanation. This
is what I find so puzzling. It's not consistent behaviour, and I haven't yet
found what causes it, or been able to reproduce it. It seems to happen at
random. Sometimes it can be weeks before it happens again. Once it happens,
only THAT account is unable to authenticate until I restart all relevant
daemons.

So, a user registers on our website via one of our webservers. In this case
www1, www2, www3 or www4.
All our webservers use the same account to send a registration confirmation
email to the new user. In this case "nore...@example.com"

This happens via a local phpmailer instance on each webserver. The phpmailer
simply sends the registration mail via smtp to our postfix server using the
nore...@example.com account.

Either way, I'll try what you suggested and see if I can't find anymore clues.

On our postfix server, we have lots of other accounts and domains.
But the weirdest thing is, when THAT account stops working, all others still
continue to work as normal.
That's what makes it so difficult to catch that there is a problem. If the mail
server itself suddenly completely stopped working, we would notice this
immediately. But as it is, it's only the webservers trying to send
registration emails via that one account.