On 12/26/2012 08:29 AM, DTNX Postmaster wrote:
On Dec 25, 2012, at 19:08, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

On 12/25/2012 09:36 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
Robert Moskowitz:
I am not finding a tool to edit master.cf similar to 'postconf -e' for
main.cf.
It is easy to over-state the importance of such a tool.  Most
master.cf changes involve a one-time append operation for a new
service, followed by a life time of parameter tweaking in main.cf.
Agreed.  Nice to have, just not anywhere as important as postconf for main.cf.

Just that I am trying to maintain a log of what changes I am making.  I can
have a file of postconf commands to run as a script for rebuilding my main.cf.
For master.cf, I will just have to have notes of the changes I made.
Use version control. Commit with comments. Git, Mercurial, Subversion,
and so on. Check out the latest, and move it into place.

Or even just a very basic shell script that will save a copy of the
current file elsewhere, and then opens the original in your favorite
editor. Document your changes with comments.

I really need to do more with Subversion. I use it with a group on Internet Draft editing, but I am just a user so far. Of Subversion that is; I am the main ID editor. Supposedly :)

Doesn't need to complicated :-)

What fun is that!

Once I get a few things working, I am going to blow the system away, rebuild and try again. Then again. Then I should have the production hardware on hand and do it again on the production platform and migrate the mail accounts from the current server. So really, part of why I am tracking my changes and building scripts is to go through the steps consistantly. And then be in a position to totally do it over again, if needed.

Perhaps by that point I might have learned a thing or two.