On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 09:36:52AM -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Early on it I had to make a choice: release Postfix as a "complete"
> MTA, or release it as a work-in-progress. You also have a choice:
> wait until Postfix is "complete" or use what we have now.

I recall you did not see much benefit from such a tool. I did create a
"postmast" utility a few years back, but it did not get adopted.  The main
feature was the ability to replace, not just append entries. Another was
"postmast -n" and "postmast -d" to report non-default/default settings (for
a particular service or all of master.cf).

At this point the read-only feature-set is available via "postconf -M", with
the exception that "postconf -Mn" reports entries with non-default parameter
overrides, rather than simply non-default master.cf entries. I am not sure
that this is the most intuitive interface. Perhaps it should show all
non-default entries, including those that don't override parameters?

As for editing, "postconf -Me name.type" could still be added, thereby
obviating "postmast". It should be possible to add, remove or replace
a service.

 # postconf -Me name.type \

Add or re-define a service, and perhaps just "postconf -Md name.type"
to delete a service, though it is often better to disable services,
since that can be more easily undone.

[ The "postmast" syntax supported replacing a service with a different
service (atomic delete + add), but this is not compelling in retrospect,
and required the edit command to provide the name and type fields twice. ]

--
        Viktor.