On 10/27/2013 10:38 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2013-10-25 4:51 PM, Noel Jones <njo...@megan.vbhcs.org> wrote:
>> Blackberry has done pretty much this same thing for years, and not
>> too many people have been bent out of shape about it. Or maybe the
>> different business model of BB convinced folks their email wasn't
>> being mined.  Mostly a moot point now...
>
> Are you sure about this? I especially don't think this is true for
> outbound? At least, I don't recall seeing an option for this (SMTP)
> in the ones I set up, but it was a long time ago, so maybe I'm wrong
> and just never considered the implications...
>
> It seemed to be more in the nature of setting up getmail or
> fetchmail, and it was for inbound only, and just to deliver the
> message to the client.

(disclaimer - no BB users left here, so this is based on past
behavior. They could have changed, but I doubt it.)

Yes, BB would fetch all IMAP messages from the company server, then
push them to the client.

Outbound would originate from BB's SMTP servers, with a BB envelope
address and your company From: header (and bypassing any company
outbound policy in the process).

Doesn't seem like a big difference in outcome -- some third party
has access to all your mail. But they promise they won't misuse it.

  -- Noel Jones