On 9/10/2014 10:35 AM, Wietse Venema wrote:
Daniel Miller:
This question is actually two questions - neither of which are
Postfix-specific but email-generic - but this list is the best resource
I have to ask such questions.

First - I've been contributing to "Project Tarbaby", which means I have
a pair of secondary MX records below my primary which accept anything
they get - and those get used to build DNS blacklists. Properly
configured hosts talk to my primary server without issue. The only
question here is - does anyone have an objection to what I'm doing with
this?
This is unsafe, because the connection to the primary MX may fail
for all kinds of reasons, including a temporary network outage
somewhere far away on the Internet.

Is the method for working with primary vs secondary MX records clear -
at least clear enough that my tarpit setup should work?  Or is there
enough of a grey area that this setup is doomed to failure regardless?
Tricks with MX-priority spamtraps share the problem that they make
assumptions about the behavior of all legitimate MTAs.

For a related approach, see, for example, "nolisting".

        Wietse

Do I infer from that MX-priority spamtraps are a Bad Idea - at least in the real world? This is the first time in about...I think 6 months since I implemented the tarpit that I found a problem.

--

Daniel