* Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> [150723 09:17]:
> Not possible.  The virtual_uid_maps parameter is a feature of the
> virtual(8) not the pipe(8) transport.  And it stores a numeric uid,
> not a login name.

Why do virtual_uid_maps and virtual_gid_maps require a numeric uid/gid?
Allowing names is much more robust.  If you migrate your postfix setup
to a different existing machine, or if you have a catastrophic failure
and restore by starting with a fresh distribution installation and then
restoring the postfix configuration from backups, the uid/gid's for the
real users that manage the virtual users may be different, but
presumably the names will be the same.  Now you have to fetch the old
passwd and group files and translate the numbers in the virtual_uid_maps
and virtual_gid_maps files.

Is there some security or other reason that I am missing to not allow
names?  If not, would a feature request to allow this be welcome?

...Marvin