* Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org> [150801 15:52]:
> Marvin Renich:
> > * Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> [150723 09:17]:
> > > Not possible.  The virtual_uid_maps parameter is a feature of the
> > > virtual(8) not the pipe(8) transport.  And it stores a numeric uid,
> > > not a login name.
> >
> > Why do virtual_uid_maps and virtual_gid_maps require a numeric uid/gid?
>
> The primary reason virtual(8) exists is to support non-UNIX accounts.
> For example, all mailboxes can have the same UID and GID. The local(8)
> delivery agent is for UNIX accounts only.

Whether you have one real user for all virtual users or a setup with one
real user for each of many virtual domains, you must still have at least
one real user, possibly many.  If the only way to specify the real
user(s) is by numeric ID, then the configuration must be edited when
moving the postfix setup to another machine (and depending on how it is
edited, there might be a significant chance for mistakes).  If names
were allowed, this would not be necessary.  In either case, you must
ensure that the new machine has the appropriate real users with their
Maildir folders.

I don't see a reason to not allow names, and allowing names makes things
easier.

Btw, I do not see anything in either the virtual(8) man page or the
descriptions of virtual_mailbox_maps, virtual_uid_maps, or
virtual_gid_maps in postconf(5) that describes what happens if
virtual_mailbox_maps has an entry for a virtual user, but
virtual_uid_maps does not.  What real uid is used to deliver the mail?

Also, if virtual_uid_maps has an entry for a user, but virtual_gid_maps
does not, how is the real gid determined?

...Marvin