Istvan Prosinger:
> On 2015-08-06 13:50, Istvan Prosinger wrote:
> > Got it.
> > I have made a small perl script as a service that would only return
> > reject as a policy (that sould have rendered most of the mailing
> > impossibble), and postfix was still mailing happily. Since I have
> > recompiled Postfix from the source, it was out of the question the the
> > process was faulty, so the only option is that Postfix couldn't
> > connect to a local service.
> >
> > It was the firewall. The FORWARD chain was set to drop all, and the
> > rest is history......
> >
> > Thanks everyone for the extraordinary efforts.
>
> @Wietse
> Regarding this one, is it possibble to implement an error message in the
> log if it cannot connect to a service, like a policy service in this
> case? I guess any clue in the maillog would do

The information is already in your logfiles, You just need to
develop a clue to find it.

Postfix logs a WARNING when the connect() call fails, and it
optionally logs an INFO message when the connect() call succeeds.

    fd = auto_clnt->connect(auto_clnt->endpoint, BLOCKING, auto_clnt->timeout);
    if (fd < 0) {
        msg_warn("connect to %s: %m", auto_clnt->endpoint);
    } else {
        if (msg_verbose)
            msg_info("%s: connected to %s", myname, auto_clnt->endpoint);