This is more of an annoyance than a serious bug since there is a
simple workaround.  But it seems to me that it is a bug.

Though postfix is compiled with /usr/local prefix (and I prefer the
executables in /usr/local) I have configs in /etc/postfix so I start
postfix with "-c /etc/postfix".  I get:

  /usr/local/sbin/postconf: warning: inet_protocols: disabling IPv4
  name/address support: Protocol not supported

even though /etc/postfix/main.cf has inet_protocols = ipv6

This is on an IPv6-only MDA (all my client hosts that need to reach
the MDA including cell phones can do IPv6).  btw- Any non-ancient
android has no trouble with my ECDSA certs.  Haven't checked iphone.

I can get rid this by editing /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf .

It seems that this variable (inet_protocols) and strict_smtputf8 are
evaluated and acted on before the -c arg is considered and the actual
config file is read.  The /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf file should
not be read at all if there is "-c /etc/postfix" on the command line.

The workaround is to edit a small number of variables in
/usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf .

btw- Documentation is a bit off.  It says "smtputf8_enable (default:
yes)" but "postconf -d | grep smtputf8_enable" yeilds "smtputf8_enable
= ${{$compatibility_level} < {1} ? {no} : {yes}}" and "postconf -d |
grep compatibility_level\ =" yields "compatibility_level = 0".

Curtis