In message <5a7fbd95-2256-4177-a30d-32e36ea73...@dukhovni.org>
Viktor Dukhovni writes:

> > On Feb 1, 2016, at 3:54 AM, Curtis Villamizar <cur...@orleans.occnc.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > As I said to Viktor, I mistakenly thought, based on reading (maybe
> > misreading) numerous web pages of documentation with no mention of a
> > limitation, that the -c argument was supposed to work like -c or -cf
> > in any other package.  Now I know that it doesn't.
>
> The "-c" argument absolutely works, but makes no promise that having
> problematic settings in the default configuration directory will not
> log any warnings.

It doesn't give any warnings in the manual pages or in
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#config_directory
Maybe it should.

The entire content is:

  config_directory (default: see "postconf -d" output)

    The default location of the Postfix main.cf and master.cf
    configuration files. This can be overruled via the following
    mechanisms:

        The MAIL_CONFIG environment variable (daemon processes and
        commands).

        The "-c" command-line option (commands only).

    With Postfix command that run with set-gid privileges, a
    config_directory override requires either root privileges, or it
    requires that the directory is listed with the
    alternate_config_directories parameter in the default main.cf
    file.

As you can see - no warning.

> The default configuration directory is used to determine whether the
> target of the "-c" option is a secondary instance in a single command
> in the start-up shell script.  The lookup of just that single parameter
> happens to trigger a warning on your partly configured system.

Perhaps put something like this in
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#config_directory
except use the phrase "compiled in default configuration directory".
And the put in each manual page -c description "See limitation
described in config_directory main.cf option".

> For some reason you seem to have gotten rather worked up about a nit
> that really does not warrant the bother.  Most people find it easier
> to either compile with the preferred default, or use the default that's
> compiled-in, and not have to use explicit "-c" options all the time.

I started by asking a question which was phrased (sic) "is this a
bug".  Sorry.  My errant assumption was not clear to me at that time.

> The warning can be ignored, however it is expected that the default
> configuration is at least minimally maintained.  Postfix supports
> multiple instances, so secondary instances are part of a larger
> configuration via the primary instance.

This is not clear in any of the documentation and is only hinted at in
the build instructions you forwarded (as URL).  Maybe that could be
fixed.

> Regaining some perspective would be appropriate at this point.
> Good luck.
>
> --
>       Viktor.

I'm moving my files to /usr/local/etc/postfix.  This means editing a
few configuation file templates.

  % find local-config public -type f \
      | egrep -v 'public/fbsd/build/trace/' \
      | xargs grep -l etc/postfix
  local-config/system-files/etc/mda+/rc.conf
  local-config/system-files/etc/mta+/rc.conf
  local-config/system-files/pkg/pkg-files/cyrus-imapd/init.imapd.sh
  local-config/system-files/pkg/pkg-files/postfix-mda/main.cf
  local-config/system-files/pkg/pkg-files/postfix-mta/main.cf
  local-config/system-files/pkg/pkg-files/postfix-http/main.cf
  local-config/system-files/pkg/pkg-files/dkim-sign/keytable
  local-config/system-files/pkg/pkg-files/dkim-sign/dkim-sign.conf
  local-config/system-files/pkg/pkg-files/postfix-any/init.postfix.sh
  local-config/system-files/pkg/pkg-files/postfix-host/main.cf
  local-config/system-files/pkg/def/postfix-host
  local-config/system-files/pkg/def/postfix-any
  local-config/system-files/pkg/def/dkim-verify
  local-config/system-files/pkg/def/postfix-http
  local-config/system-files/pkg/def/dkim-sign
  local-config/system-files/pkg/def/postfix-mta
  local-config/system-files/pkg/def/postfix-mda
  local-config/system-files/pkg/host-files/mda+/sasl2/add/init.sasl2.sh
  local-config/system-files/default/harbor.rc.conf
  local-config/system-files/default/postfix.rc.conf
  public/fbsd/install-certs/GNUmakefile

This is because I generate configs.  I also changed /etc/postfix/dkim
to /etc/dkim - a more appropriate place and saves permission warnings.

No big deal.  Already completed this morning.

Thanks for the help.

Curtis