Hi Postfix users,

I would like to try and install a later version of Postfix (and postfix-mysql) than the Debian stable (Jessie) repository currently offers (2.11.3-1). I've looked at building Postfix 3.1 from source, but I'm finding it hard to follow the instructions. This is wholly down to *my* lack of understanding regarding the building process and dependences I would need to build in for my system and no reflection on the author.

As an alternative to building from source, I am also considering the easier option of installing version 3.0.4-5 from the Debian testing source (Stretch) using a pinned source list. This leaves me with a question on dependencies. Should I install postfix dependencies from the Debian Stretch source list which may upset Jessie's stability, or instead download them from Jessie which may cause Postfix problems ?

If I were to attempt to build 3.1, would it be better to first install 2.11 and get that up an running? I ask as there may be less dependencies to build into 3.1, and certainly less to configure if the main.cf and master.cf already exist.

To sum up, I don't know which way to go, though I'm thinking 3.1 would be the best route long term. Any suggestions welcomed.

Best wishes,
Mick.