Hi Guys,

I'm trying to replace an old Sun 5.8 box running Sendmail 8.12.x with
a newer RHEL 6 box running Postfix 2.6.6, which I know is unsupported
and I should upgrade.  But it's what comes from RedHat and it's what
I'm working with right now.

Anyway, I'm going nuts trying to make my crazy environment work
properly due to (possibly) conflicting requirements.

1. It's the outgoing mail server for the domain foo.bar.com (and
   legacy foo.com).  So it needs to masquerade @host.foo.bar.com into
   @foo.bar.com like usual.

1a. We also want to have it handle outgoing email for first.l...@other.com and
    look lookups on how to rewrite envelope and message addresses into
    first.l...@foo.bar.com.

2. It also handles incoming mail from our external spam filter:

   - looks at NIS aliases for where to forward email:
     - exchange (exmail1.foo.bar.com)
     - mailman  (mailman.foo.bar.com)
     - un-recognized email gets forwarded to lotus notes server
(hdqmta.foo.bar.com).

There's no local delivery wanted or needed, it should all be looked up
in aliases and forwarded to the correct internal host.

I've asked before for help on how I can do lookups using ldap against
Lotus Notes, because they have a million aliases on there, but no
complete standard.  Since the existing sendmail setup works just fine,
they don't want to make changes on their end.

So right now I have most of it working, but it's re-writing too
aggresively on the headers.  So when it does the fallback_transport to
hdqmta, it (seems!) to be not updating the address... now that I think
of it, maybe that's the problem!!!!!!

Question:

Can I force the fallback_transport to re-write, before using the
fallback, john.t...@foo.bar.com into john.t...@hdqmta.foo.bar.com?
Since I think that's the problem?

All I have in my legacy, ancient, crappy sendmail.cf is:

   DLhdqmta.foo.bar.com

Here's my postconf -n output, semi-sanitized.  Can someone tell me
what I'm doing wrong and how I can achieve my aims?  Do I need to have
two seperate postfix instances setup, one to handle the rewriting from
option 1a, with the other to do the rest?

    alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
    alias_maps = nis:mail.aliases
    command_directory = /usr/sbin
    config_directory = /etc/postfix
    daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
    data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
    debug_peer_level = 2
    fallback_transport = smtp:[hdqmta.foo.bar.com]
    html_directory = no
    inet_interfaces = all
    inet_protocols = all
    local_header_rewrite_clients = static:all
    local_recipient_maps =
    mail_owner = postfix
    mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
    manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
    masquerade_domains = !exmail1.foo.bar.com !hdqmta.foo.bar.com
    $myorigin
    mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost,
    $mydomain, foo.com
    mydomain = foo.bar.com
    myhostname = mailhost.foo.bar.com
    mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 209.243.0.0/16, 10.0.0.0/8
    myorigin = $mydomain
    queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
    readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.6.6/README_FILES
    relay_domains = $mydestination
    sender_canonical_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_canonical
    setgid_group = postdrop
    transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport_maps
    unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 450

I'm about to throw in the towel here and try to move to sendmail using
a completely new and updated setup, but that's a horror show in many
ways.

THanks,
John