Michael Fox:
> But I ran into a few problems and have a few questions:

The documented behavior is supported, as in, bugs fixed and backwards
compatibility provided as Postfix evolves. Undocumented behavior is
unsupported.

There is no 'include' command for main.cf or master.cf files, because
a) it would complicate how commands like 'postconf -e' work, b)
it would complicate the 'postfix check' that Postfix parameters
don't come from a file or directory that is writable by non-root
users, c) other considerations that were hashed out many years ago.

I suggest that you have a script on each machine that customizes a
generic Postfix main.cf and master.cf file.  As of a few releases
you can use 'postconf -F' to customize each master.cf field and
'postconf -P' to customize each '-o name=value' parameter setting
in master.cf.

In a distant past I might suggest using rdist to move and customize
files; nowadays people might use Puppet, Chef, and the like to a
similar effect.