On 14/07/17 08:06, @lbutlr wrote:

> I forward mail to a gmail user, but there are a lot of bounces from
> gmail. I don't honestly care about the ones that google says are
> spam,

You should.  When Google sees SPAM coming form your server it will
affect your server's IP reputation with Google and eventually cause mail
from your server to go to Spam folder or you get blacklisted, etc.

> but recently I'm also getting DMARC failures on Facebook
> mails.

Right, DMARC makes the situation worse.  The only way to get around this
is to completely own the message by rewriting the envelope sender and
From: header to come from your domain.  Of course this alters the
content of the message and will likely cause DKIM to fail, so you'll
need to address that as well.  If you've successfully managed to do this
then you'll be even more embroiled in making your server look like a
source of any SPAM that gets relayed through it in this method.

> The only thing that I can think to do is disable the forwarding and
> tell the user to grab mail via POP3, but that means enabling POP3
> which I'd rather not do.

This is actually the only solution that will work without making you
alter the contents of the message significantly and make you look like a
source of SPAM.  this is one of the few exceptions where I will say to
go ahead and use POP3.

> Gmail does not, IFAIK, allow you to combine
> your mail with another IMAP account.

Correct, Google will fetch from POP3 but not from IMAP.  You pretty much
need to do it with POP3.

Peter