> On Sep 14, 2018, at 5:41 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org>
> wrote:
>
> Postfix 2.3-20051202 introduced conditionally compiled code for a "DELAY"
> access(5) action, but this never became a default-enabled feature.  You'd
> need to compile Postfix with "-DDELAY_ACTION" to get it, and I don't know
> how recently this was last tested.  It may no longer work, and perhaps was
> never ready for prime-time (otherwise might have made it as a standard
> feature into some release).

The pertinent comment in the code is:

+    /*
+     * The DELAY feature is disabled because it has too many problems. 1) It
+     * does not work on some remote file systems; 2) mail will be delivered
+     * anyway with "sendmail -q" etc.; 3) while the mail is queued it bogs
+     * down the deferred queue scan with huge amounts of useless disk I/O
+     * operations.
+     */

These concerns are not insurmountable if the file-system is not uncooperative,
and the volume of delayed mail is small, but they do stand in the way of this
being a mainstream Postfix feature as-is.

--
        Viktor.