On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 at 12:45, Jaroslaw Rafa <r...@rafa.eu.org> wrote:

> Dnia 22.11.2019 o godz. 11:40:29 Dominic Raferd pisze:
> >
> > The limitations you describe affect SPF but not DMARC because DMARC can
> > rely *either* on SPF *or* on DKIM.
>
> But it probably depends on how the *recipient* configured DMARC checking
> and
> the sender can't do anything about it - am I right?
>
> Recently I was forced to set up both SPF *and* DKIM on outgoing mail (I
> still don't verify SPF, DKIM nor DMARC on incoming mail and don't plan to)
> because someone set up a DMARC record at my parent domain, eu.org, and
> Google started using this DMARC record to verify messages coming from my
> domain rafa.eu.org (which it shouldn't do because eu.org is a "public
> suffix" - anybody can register their subdomain under eu.org - so my domain
> "rafa.eu.org" is an "organizational domain" in terms of DMARC, ie. the
> receiver should not look for DMARC records above that domain). Because I
> didn't have neither SPF nor DKIM, my messages started to fail DMARC tests
> at
> Gmail (which could be probably one of the reasons Gmail started to put my
> messages to recipients' spam folders - I'm not sure because I did many
> different things trying to resolve the issue and get out of spam folder, so
> I'm not sure what actually helped). Configuring SPF alone didn't help -
> Gmail still indicated DMARC as failed, I had to configure both SPF and DKIM
> to satisfy it.
>
> BTW, as I don't like SPF, I configured my SPF record with "?all" at the
> end,
> which means "I have no opinion about other IP addresses sending mail for my
> domain, do whatever you would otherwise do with them". I think this is the
> proper way SPF should be used, if it must be used at all. The currently
> omnipresent "-all" at end of SPF records is in my opinion justified in only
> one case: when it's the only item SPF record specifies, ie. the domain
> declares it sends no mail at all. And it's the only case when receivers
> should strictly respect SPF and outright reject all mail coming from such
> domains. In all other cases, if the domain sends *any* mail, that mail can
> be forwarded; so "-all" doesn't make sense.

I am very surprised to hear that such a big (and generally competent)
provider as Gmail would misapply DMARC. Nevertheless as I read the RFC at
3.2 and 6.6.3 I agree that the process of locating a DMARC record should
not proceed below the Organizational Domain which in your case would be [n].
eu.org (based on latest from
https://publicsuffix.org/list/public_suffix_list.dat). My guess is that the
Gmail code just carries on stripping labels from the left-hand side of the
domain address and testing what is left until it finds a DMARC record,
hence it finds the record that should not be, but is, published for eu.org.
Or they may use a different source for their public suffix list.

Even so, the eu.org DMARC policy is 'none' so it is *not* advising receiver
to quarantine or block emails that fail the DMARC policy (which begs the
question of why bother with a DMARC policy at all of course). I suppose it
is possible that Gmail use a DMARC fail even with p=none as a point-score
in their internal algorithm to determine whether to move an email to a
recipient's spam folder.

BTW, I dislike SPF too!