On 31.05.20 10:40, Gary Aitken wrote:
Subject: setup issue -- debian /ubuntu 16.04.1 "bad string length 0 < 1:
setgid_group ="

16.04 is ubuntu version

I'm new to postfix and trying to administer a debian google-compute
box, also new to me (coming from fbsd).  So lots of opportunities
for learning...

I modified /etc/crontable to fire off some backup stuff (a shell
script that does a "gcloud compute disks snapshot ...".  Cron logs
attempting to start the script, then logs:
cron[1214]: sendmail: fatal: bad string length 0 < 1: setgid_group =
postfix/sendmail[8628]: fatal: bad string length 0 < 1: setgid_group =

As I did not set this system up, it's not clear to me what has been
properly installed and what came as a result of other stuff.
Initially, I was getting a
 "/etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or directory"
error.  I copied main.cf.proto to main.cf without change, as it
seemed to be ok as is.

It appears postfix was installed as a result of a mysql installation:

aptitude why postfix:
i   automysqlbackup Depends  bsd-mailx | mailx
i A bsd-mailx       Depends  default-mta | mail-transport-agent
i A postfix         Provides mail-transport-agent

but the setup not completed?  This machine is not intended to serve
as a mail server; I only need it to post mail appropriately.

I modified /etc/aliases to forward root, then tried sudo newaliases
but I get the same error:
newaliases: fatal: bad string length 0 < 1: setgid_group =

you should try to run:

dpkg --configure -a
to configure all packages that aren't configured yet.

however, so far this problem looks more like ubuntu than postfix problem.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.