I'm new to postfix and trying to administer a debian
google-compute box, also new to me (coming from fbsd).  So lots of
opportunities for learning...

I modified /etc/crontable to fire off some backup stuff (a shell script that does a "gcloud compute disks snapshot ...". Cron logs attempting to start the script, then logs: cron[1214]: sendmail: fatal: bad string length 0 < 1: setgid_group = postfix/sendmail[8628]: fatal: bad string length 0 < 1:
setgid_group =

As I did not set this system up, it's not clear to me what has
been properly installed and what came as a result of other stuff. Initially, I was getting a "/etc/postfix/main.cf: No such file or
directory" error.  I copied main.cf.proto to main.cf without
change, as it seemed to be ok as is.

It appears postfix was installed as a result of a mysql
installation:

aptitude why postfix: i   automysqlbackup Depends  bsd-mailx |
mailx i A bsd-mailx       Depends  default-mta |
mail-transport-agent i A postfix         Provides
mail-transport-agent

but the setup not completed?  This machine is not intended to
serve as a mail server; I only need it to post mail appropriately.

I modified /etc/aliases to forward root, then tried sudo
newaliases but I get the same error: newaliases: fatal: bad string
length 0 < 1: setgid_group =

you should try to run:

dpkg --configure -a to configure all packages that aren't configured
yet.

however, so far this problem looks more like ubuntu than postfix
problem.