On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 at 08:33, Viktor Dukhovni
<postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 08:20:01AM +0300, Simo Tukiainen wrote:
>
> > Eventually I solved these configuration problems with postmulti with a
> > configuration similar to as described here:
> > http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html.
> > I suppose one could also do it by defining different transports with
> > those settings in master.cf, but I found the setup with postmulti
> > easiest to understand and use since I'm a postfix novice.
>
> Thanks for the endorsement!  I sometimes feel that the multi-instance
> aproach is under-appreciated, and new users are at times reluctant to
> try it, fearing it will more complex.  I am glad to see that at least
> one is brave enough to take the plunge.
>
> I guess it takes a mix of requirements that are in combination complex
> to implement without getting in each other's way, but can be cleanly
> separated into distinct groups for separate message flows (null client,
> inbound mail, outbound mail, ...).
>
> If that's your situation, don't be unduly afraid of multiple instances,
> divide and conquer.

Yes, postmulti did feel complex exactly up to the point when I
actually tried using it -- it was dead simple to understand and use :)
Thanks for creating it!

I actually arrived at it by first coming to the conclusion that for
separating these concerns of handling different classes of mail, I
should really be running different servers for them. But since my use
case is so small, there's no way I wanted to run different boxes (even
virtual) for it. Then I don't remember whether I actually searched for
a way to run multiple postfix instances on the same server or just
came across it by accident, but in any case then I understood it as
the way to implement my dream of separated servers on the same host.

Regards,
Simo