On 2020-07-12 20:59, Greg Sims wrote:
We are making good progress building a mail server.  The server is a
KVM running CentOs 8.2 with vcpus=2 and ram=4GB.  The system is under
heavy load and is likely limited by disk performance.  The load is
generated by a second KVM using SMTP to send email. Everything seems
to be working except there is nothing in /var/log/maillog for a period
of 3 minutes.  I'm not sure what is causing the omission of logs and
how to correct this issue.
Maybe systemd-journald rate limit is your problem. I found some information here https://www.rootusers.com/how-to-change-log-rate-limiting-in-linux

Do these 3 minutes show up when you call journalctl -u postfix@-.service or more specific

journalctl -u postfix@-.service --since="2020-07-12 03:06:00" --until="2020-07-12 03:11:00"

I'm concerned that we are not following this recommendation, "Don't
overwhelm the disk with mail submissions. Optimize the mail submission
rate by tuning the number of parallel submissions and/or by tuning the
Postfix in_flow_delay parameter setting."  There is no indication in
/var/log/maillog of problems (other than 3 minutes of missing logs). I
do not know if "overwhelming the disk" would lead to shutting down
data going to the maillog altogether.  I will set in_flow_delay = 2s
for this KVM mail server this evening.

The performance snapshots below seem to show: cpu load average is not
heavy, plenty of ram free, no swapping (stable at 108Mi), dm-0 is
working hard at 129 tps and postfix seems to be keeping up with the
load with 39-50 emails in the queue. This run started at 03:05 and
created two minutes of data in /var/log/maillog -- and then nothing
for 3 minutes starting at 03:07.  I am certain the email in the
missing three minutes was actually delivered or I would be seeing lots
of negative feedback from our subscribers.
You can also put

03:07:04 up 17:31,  0 users,  load average: 0.42, 0.26, 0.10

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available

Mem:          3.7Gi       832Mi       2.0Gi       101Mi       931Mi
2.5Gi

Swap:         1.0Gi       108Mi       915Mi

Device             tps    kB_read/s    kB_wrtn/s    kB_read
kB_wrtn

dm-0            129.00         0.00      2373.50          0
4747

incoming/active queue:

T  5 10 20 40 80 160 320
640 1280 1280+

TOTAL 39 39  0  0  0  0   0   0
0    0     0

gmail.com [1]  8  8  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

att.net [2]  7  7  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

bellsouth.net [3]  7  7  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

sbcglobal.net [4]  7  7  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

aol.com [5]  4  4  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

icloud.com [6]  4  4  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

yahoo.com [7]  1  1  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

outlook.com [8]  1  1  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

deferred queue:

T  5 10 20 40 80 160 320
640 1280 1280+

TOTAL  1  0  0  0  0  0   0   0
0    0     1

icloud.com [6]  1  0  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     1

03:07:11 up 17:31,  0 users,  load average: 0.36, 0.25, 0.10

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache
available

Mem:          3.7Gi       858Mi       1.9Gi       101Mi       933Mi
2.5Gi

Swap:         1.0Gi       108Mi       915Mi

Device             tps    kB_read/s    kB_wrtn/s    kB_read
kB_wrtn

dm-0            121.50         0.00      2326.00          0
4652

incoming/active queue:

T  5 10 20 40 80 160 320
640 1280 1280+

TOTAL 56 56  0  0  0  0   0   0
0    0     0

gmail.com [1] 13 13  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

att.net [2] 11 11  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

sbcglobal.net [4] 11 11  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

bellsouth.net [3]  9  9  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

icloud.com [6]  6  6  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

yahoo.com [7]  5  5  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

rocketmail.com [9]  1  1  0  0  0  0   0
0   0    0     0

deferred queue:

T  5 10 20 40 80 160 320
640 1280 1280+