I updated my maillog processing tool to make use of journalctl.  This is
working well and I can now see the "missing" maillog entries with my tool.
This is a great step in the right direction.

I have rsyslog running which looks like it might be redundant -- based on
the serverfault post you supplied.  I will try running without rsyslog and
see what happens.

I am aware of the systemd journal rate limits from CentOS 7.  I will do
additional research to know when I hit these limits and make needed
adjustments if I do.

Thanks for your help Christian!  I am now able to accomplish my goals using
journalctl.

I am more than willing to collect data to help determine why the three
minutes of log data is not making it to /var/log/maillog.  To be honest, I
do not know how to "... find out how your syslog daemon gets the messages
from the systemd journal.".

Greg Sims