The Postfix SMTP client is not as smart as you appear to believe.
It receives the nexthop from the queue manager.

- If the nexthop from the queue manager is an [ipaddress] then the
  SMTP client uses that address.

- If the nexthop from the queue manager is a domain name, then the
  SMTP client uses DNS (dpending on smtp_host_lookup configuration).

When will the queue manager ignore the nexthop from trivial-rewrite?
The queue manager will override that nexthop when a destination is
specified with REDIRECT or FILTER.

Insteead of debug logging, all we need is "postconf -n" command
output, non-debug logging, and perhaps "postconf -P" command output.
Based on that we can find out if any table queries are needed.