On Tue, Sep 27, 2022 at 06:15:34PM +0000, Eddie Rowe wrote:

> I cannot seem to get the Linux machine's domain name to be used, but
> instead it is using "localdomain".  I took over these duties from a
> prior employee whose server was "almost ready" has the same issue.  So
> I created test VM and made the minimal changes from the NULL client
> info shared on the Postfix site.  I am using the current version of
> Postfix that is available from my distribution.  This is an internal
> server for a single domain so nothing fancy.  Just took the default
> main.cf and changed the myorigin = $mydomain, mydestination = ,
> (nothing after the =), set the relayhost = $mydomain so it would use
> MX, reloaded the configuration and even restarted the service.
>
> Running hostname -f shows the correct fully qualified domain that I
> expect.  So based on the information in the main.cf I think Postfix
> should use the domain found there.

Your mistake is to use "hostname -f".  Postfix uses the actual
configured hostname, not some randomly canonicalised version
that changes unpredictably.  Either set the system hostname
to the desired FQDN, or set "myhostname" in main.cf.

> Running postconf -d myhostname returns the host.localdomain where the
> host is the correct hostname, but localdomain is just the string
> "localdomain"

You need to configure a fully-qualified hostname, or set myhostname
explicitly.

--
    Viktor.