Eddie Rowe wrote:
> I tried the 2nd and 3rd option during my troubleshooting before my
> post, reloaded the configuration and even bounced the service
> without anything changing.

Option 3 of setting mydomain is guarenteed.  If that failed to work
for you then the problem will require you to debug it.  Since no one
other than you has access to the your system that is behaving this way.

> The first option does not have the domain included and I am leery of
> changing an OS file like /etc/hostname for fear of some application
> breaking after the change.

Debian derived systems prefer the short name for the system hostname
and that set in /etc/hostname for various reasons.  But for example
BSD systems prefer the FQDN there for various reasons.  These are
opposing viewpoints never to be reconciled.  Using a FQDN on Debian
derived systems won't break everything but I have run into some corner
cases now that I have forgotten about.  Best not to poke the bear.  On
Debian derived systems I think it is best to use the short name for
the system hostname and set myhostname in the main.cf file.  Postfix
is perfectly happy that way.

I have often wanted a Postfix feature to read this information from a
file similar to the Debian patch for myorigin.  But anyway...

Some hints.

You quoted "postconf -d myhostname" but that is the default value
without your main.cf configuration.  On Debian derived systems it is
normal for "postconf -d mydomain" to be "localdomain".  What does
"postconf myhostname" return using your configuration?

    rwp@havoc:~$ hostname
    havoc

    rwp@havoc:~$ postconf -d myhostname mydomain
    myhostname = havoc.localdomain
    mydomain = localdomain

    rwp@havoc:~$ postconf myhostname mydomain
    myhostname = havoc.proulx.com
    mydomain = proulx.com

    rwp@havoc:~$ grep ^myhostname /etc/postfix/main.cf
    myhostname = havoc.proulx.com

Hope this example helps clarify things.

Do not reference whatever happens with "hostname -f" as that is a
silly feature using DNS lookup that should *never have been added to
the GNU/Linux hostname utility* IMNHO.  I can't tell you how many
times scripts have set the hostname to "-f" on my older legacy
systems.  Forget that option ever existed.  As Wietse and Viktor have
said Postfix must be able to operate sanely even when the network is
offline.  And as Viktor complained somewhat indirectly a lot of
systems run on networks without proper reverse DNS lookups and that
screws up hostname -f.

The use of "localhost" and ".localdomain" combination is an often
configured GNU/Linux default which is self-consistent upon fresh
installation.  Something is needed so something locally consistent was
chosen.  Suitable only for local mail delivery.  It is expected for
this to be re-configured appropriately for any network connected
hosts.

Bob