* Matthias Andree via Postfix-users <postfix-users@postfix.org> [230311 10:48]:
> Am 10.03.23 um 17:12 schrieb Marvin Renich via Postfix-users:
> > Additionally, every MUA that I know of recognizes a subject beginning
> > with "Re:" or "RE:" and when replying avoids duplicating this in the
> > reply subject.
> >
> > While I have used mutt exclusively for a long time to send email, I
> > occasionally use other programs for reading.  I just checked both
> > Thunderbird and Evolution (and mutt), and none of them recognize
> > "[prefix] Re:", so unless the person replying realizes it and manually
> > adjusts the subject, the subject will keep growing with each reply.
> >
> > I have not heard of any MUA that recognizes "[prefix] Re:", but that
> > doesn't mean there aren't any.
> >
> > Please, please, _please_ remove the subject prefix.
>
> I don't know about Mailman 3 because it seems like an underfeatured
> rewrite (someone tell me if it learned all Mailman 2 features AND has a
> sound migration path including stable archive URLs shipping in the
> defualt install and not requiring holey scripting languages) - but the
> list drivers should strip duplicate Re: [prefix] tags.
>
> What you, Marvin, have seen is probably something on your sending end,
> or the old and the new Subject prefix mixed. Or else please point me to
> a message-ID of a mail send through the new list driver that has "[pfx]
> Re: [pfx] Re:" or similar messups. I don't see such in my Thunderbird
> view of what I received through the mailing list, except some "[pfx] Re:
> [P-U] Re:" on this very thread, which will stop once people stop keeping
> the [P-U], or in case there's a filter installed that weeds out the
> [P-U] from the Subject:s.

That mostly alleviates my technical objection, though it doesn't fix the
problem for cross-posting (which is usually bad, but there are occasions
where it is appropriate) or for off-list replies.

That technical issue aside, in this thread there have been two posters
who expressed a desire to keep the tags, one said get rid of it in
users, but keep it in announce (I don't understand his reasoning, I am
just reporting his stated preference), and six said they would like to
remove the tags (one of those appears to be the person at sys4.de
responsible for the list).  And I didn't count Viktor who wanted the tag
to take as little space as possible and "was also quite happy with no
tags".

The tags only provide any benefit at all if you read several mailing
lists from the same inbox.  Most people reading technical mailing lists
have a sorting mechanism in place, either with something like procmail
or maildrop, or with filters in their MUA.  In those cases, the tags are
not only redundant and provide no benefit, but they have a negative
impact on readability and length of subject line.

To whomever has the authority to change this (is that you, Wietse?),
please reconsider and remove the tags.

Thanks...Marvin