I also have a similar problem with a PB1400/177 (now a 133 using a
'hacked'166 processor).
I have 2x 24Mb cards and if I have the 8Mb module in it I get memory
errors (the 8Mb IS ok as it works in any other combination) but the PB
is fine with the 4Mb, in my case I think that the problem is due to
the fact that I re-built one of the 24Mb cards using EDO chips in 1 of
the banks, as far as I can ascertain, the PB will try to interleave
the RAM when you have 8+8 & 24+24 (matching banks), a 32Mb and a 16Mb
will look like 2x 24Mb to the PB and unless they are identical chips
then they probably will not interleave.
I have just got some more FPM chips today (I bought a box of 60 old PC
notebook SODIMS for £15 to rob the chips off) and I will re-build my
24Mb card and see if it works ok.
Also I am trying to work out the details on the Japanese site to hack
the 8Mb card to 16Mb, if this works then I will also try to do the
same to the motherboard and see if I can get the PB up to 80Mb!!
Ben.

 CoolPad at Staples. Both in white for iBooks at <http://roadtools.com>.