Greetings all --
It seems to be fixed:  I replaced the entire display assembly with the one
from my 5300c, and the ce shows pictures once more.  A great pity giving up
the ce screen (whoever said it "rocks" a couple of weeks ago is absolutely
right) so maybe sometime if an attack of terminal masochism beckons I'll try
taking the ce display apart to see if it seems fixable.  Or can the screen
alone (or some other parts) be scrounged out of it to get the ce picture
back again?

In the meantime happy Sunday.

Best,
Victoria