>Brian put in his cheery two cents:

Sorry :) (cheerier with the smiley?)

>And proposed that a transcontinental journey at the mercies of UPS might
>joggle it back to life.  Personally I suspect the USPS might do this job
>more effectively, but in either case a solid dropkick would be more
>exhilarating.

I'm actually 2 for 2 on the PB100's for a fix this way (shipping)- but it
was only temporary.  And no, I could not replicate this with *ahem*
carefully calculated and considered shaking and jarring.  But I'm likely
gentler than UPS.  HDs are rated for what, 3?g partly to hold up to
shipping stresses.  Should you wish to try this, I suggest repeating a
Seattle to Oklahoma City trip :)  Dropkicking could damage your toes...
this is kinda in line with the old fix of baking older HDs in the oven
overnight, though.

Checking cables, pots, soldering all the MB IC contacts as I mentioned was
good for my patience and soldering iron dexterity, but did darn all for the
'book itself.

>> the result of a ID conflict - but  i do not think that is possible
>> with a startup disk. Hook it up as a docked SCSI - save what you need

I have seen PRAMs get confused about startup disk and blank screen happen-
but on desktops.  A good long zap (many pings) reset them.  I'm not sure
how to emulate that on a powerbook except pull all power, reset the power
manager a few times, and leave it sitting for overnight or longer.  (Since
as you mentioned earlier, the 5300 only does one "ping" then you are done,
no more possible- I'm not sure how "deep" that reset is, as it takes many
pings to clear *all* information on desktops).

>> of the files and programs on the docked disk and lowlevelformat,

Drew just posted and I agree K's suggestion of a low level format of this
drive while in SCSI dock could potentially be very damaging.

It does seem likely cable or connection related to me, though.  I hope to
hear of a fix.

Brian